To achieve our Vision, APLAUDD must, simply, support artists creating public
art in Detroit in any way we can. This support may include, but is not limited
1. Creation of new works of public art by artists affiliated with APLAUDD
2. Petitions supporting public art installations and artists
3. Rallies supporting public art installations and artists
4. Strong showings at City Council meetings to voice our support to the City for public art and artists
5. Letter writing/phone call/email campaigns to voice our support to the City and the media for public art and artists
6. Help with the hard work of managing and developing the APLAUDD organization.
7. Events to raise funds to help out public artists
None of this is to imply that we can be indiscriminate. It will be up to the group to decide what projects merit support; while they may be difficult to imagine, those projects that are deemed by the group (by majority vote) to be truly, physically dangerous to the public, or that may be offensive in a way that turns people off to public art, may not be supported. But that's an issue we can address as it arises. Personally, I don't know of a single public art project I've ever seen that I found dangerous or offensive.
Interested in helping? email us!
Copyright © 2004 Vince Cavasin and APLAUDD: Art for Public Life And Urban Development in Detroit. All rights reserved.